100 years of the Barmedman Church
Barmedman St Joseph’s Catholic Church turns 100 years. 10 am Mass, Sunday 13th March 2016. Dinner Saturday 12th, Bowling Club 7 pm. Former Parishioners invited to attend. Contact Patricia Wells 02 69762021 Mobile 0428688060.
History of St Joseph’s Church, Barmedman
Written by a parishioner
The fine brick building was blessed upon its completion by Rev. John Gallagher, Bishop of Goulburn on 19th March 1916, and dedicated to God under the patronage of Saint Joseph. It is not known when Barmedman was connected to the Parish of Temora. There is no doubt that Father Finnigan first resided at Grenfell in 1871 and then at Young, where he had constant contact with residents of the Bland.
By this time Barmedman’s Gold Mining was beginning to create greater interest in the locality. The goldfields were proclaimed in 1879.
The first Mass for the township on record took place in 1882. In the absence of the church it was registered as being said at “Fairview,” the residence of Mr W. Marshall.
In 1910, a Parish of Ardlethan was formed incorporating Barmedman, Ariah Park and Sacred Hear Kildary. Ardlethan and Ariah Park had new churches, with Father Mullins as Parish Priest. Father Mullins enlisted for the War in 1915 and was subsequently awarded an M.C. Barmedman was then returned to Temora Parish under the care of Father Dwyer who had followed Father Fallon. Plans for the new Church has already been developed by Father Mullins, coming back to Fr. Dwyer to modify.