Writer/Journalist (Catholic Voice)
POSITION: Writer/Journalist (Catholic Voice)
REPORTS TO: Archdiocesan Communications Manager
LOCATION: 55 Franklin Street, Manuka
NOMINAL HRS PER WEEK: Part-time (Flexible hours available)
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Archbishop, Archdiocesan staff, Pastoral Ministries, Catholic Education, Catholic Support Services, Parishes, Schools and Groups/Movements.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
We are looking for a journalist who loves building community connections and telling the stories that matter. The role requires grassroots local journalism offering flexible hours and an opportunity to work in print and online.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with demonstrated journalistic experience and proven writing skills. Energetic and able to work independently, they will be an effective team player who maintains a high level of personal organisation and commitment to tasks. They will be an all-rounder with a keen eye for detail and be able to put a story together with speed and style.
The Trustees of the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn (the Employer) requires that all people working within its institutions and agencies, regardless of religious background or allegiance respect the beliefs and teaching of the Catholic Church.
All employees of the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn must meet the ‘working with children’ checks as detailed in the Archdiocesan Child Protection and Intervention Policy.
The employer reserves the right to vary this position description, after consulting with you, in response to its changing needs.
- Research and conduct interviews that engage and interest readers
- Write original stories and take photos for print and online platforms.
- Work with the Editorial Team to develop interesting content.
- Check, correct, cut and coax copy into the allocated space
- Develop contacts in a bid to find stories and engage across the Archdiocese and beyond
- Attend out-of-hours functions as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An understanding of the evangelising mission of the Catholic Church.
- Exemplary writing skills and adept at utilising relevant digital and social channels
- Knowledge of online reporting and the necessary techniques required to engage thereader
- Confidence in approaching and engaging others to elicit stories and ideas
- Ability to work quickly and accurately using a web-based content management system
- Tertiary qualifications in journalism, public relations, or other relevant discipline,and experience in a similar Editor/Journalistic role.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills
SALARY AND CONDITIONS
The remuneration for this role is dependent upon qualifications and experience. Furthermore, the role exists within the dynamic and diverse ministry and evangelization team of the Archdiocese. The Archbishop’s Office for Evangelisation is committed to providing a supportive environ-ment for the role, including access to support services in ICT. The team is also supported by a range of employment policies, procedures and guidelines that are designed to support account-ability, work-life balance and personal support.
Package includes use of an Archdiocesan pool vehicle and superannuation at 10%
HOW TO APPLY
A complete application will include the following:
- A letter of interest addressing qualifications and experience as they relate to the responsibilities of the position.
- A professional resume.
Applications close on n 17 February 2022. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information about this position, contact: Jeanine Doyle 0409498382 or email email@example.comPosition Description - Journalist (pdf - 170 KB)